Friday, September 18, 2015

Mercurial koans

A young acolyte approached Master Hg.  "Master Hg, what is the nature of Mercurial Branches?"

Master Hg replied, "Branches are markers attached to every commit, indelible and eternal."

The acolyte nodded.  "Master, if we use branches for tracking new features in our product, how are we to avoid namespace pollution?"

Master Hg regarded the acolyte coolly.  "Mu.  Branches are lines of development, forgettable and ephemeral."

At once, the acolyte was enlightened.

A student was working under Master Hg.  "Master, yesterday I discovered a seven-headed hydra in our history."

Master Hg nodded, saying nothing.

"I did not wish to fight the beast, but I noticed it resided entirely on a separate branch.  So I closed the branch, and thought it dealt with.  But today I looked again and saw the hydra still lived.  Why was the branch not closed?"

"The branch was indeed closed," replied Master Hg, "leaving six branches open."


Ed. note: This koan is obsolescent and has no successor.

One day, a traveler from a faraway land sought Master Hg's guidance.  "Master Hg, I wish to alter history."

Master Hg nodded, smiling warmly.  "What you seek is easily attainable.  History is supple and easily rewritten."

Excitedly, the traveler began researching in Master Hg's veritable library and shared his work with others.  After many days, he returned.  "Master, when I tried to share my changes with my friends, as I have done in my homeland, the DAG became extremely confused and I had to re-clone the server.  Why does Mercurial not work correctly?"

Anger flashed across Master Hg's face.  "What you seek is impossible.  History is unyielding and changing it the domain of the gods."

"But mere days ago," the traveler protested, "you told me otherwise."

"I find it curious you remember events which did not occur," replied Master Hg.

The traveler stormed out angrily.  It was many hours before enlightenment struck him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is pretty much a free-for-all. If your comment is very hard to read (e.g. txtspk, l33t, ALL CAPS, etc.) I may fix it for you or remove it. If your comment brings absolutely nothing to the discussion (e.g. pointless flaming, spam, etc.), it is subject to removal, unless I find it sufficiently amusing. If you don't like my judgment, tough shit, it's my blog. If the blog post itself is old enough, your comment is subject to moderation, so don't panic if it's not visible immediately.