Sunday, October 19, 2014

Meta-Compatibilism

Salviati
A few days ago, I bought a $5 desk toy on Amazon. Now that it's here, I'm regretting the purchase. It's not nearly as good as I expected. Oh well, it's not that much money.
Simplicio
Do you ever wonder if you could have done things differently?
Salviati
What do you mean?
Simplicio
Well, take that toy, for example. Could you have decided not to buy it?
Salviati
Well, if I had known I wouldn't like it, of course I wouldn't have bought it.
Simplicio
That's not what I meant. Could you have chosen differently if you hadn't known?
Salviati
What are you talking about? I didn't know and I did buy it. What more is there to discuss?
Simplicio
Were you making a real choice, or just following the laws of physics?
Salviati
What is a "real" choice?
Simplicio
A choice which could have come out differently.
Salviati
If I had decided by flipping a coin, then it could have come out differently. But that doesn't really strike me as much of a choice.
Simplicio
No, the coin's motion is determined by chaotic air currents and subtle physical factors. There isn't any real randomness there.
Salviati
OK, what if I use a Geiger counter hooked up to a radioactive mineral? Unless you subscribe to a hidden variable theory (which I do not), the counter's clicking is truly random. No matter how much you know about the situation, you can never predict exactly when it will go off.
Simplicio
We're missing the point. I don't want to know whether a Geiger counter could have made a different choice. I want to know whether you could have made a different choice.
Salviati
Either some part of my brain acts like a miniature Geiger counter, or no such part exists. If it does exist, then yes, I could have "chosen" differently, but I don't think you'll want to count that either. If it doesn't, then obviously not.
Simplicio
So you admit it! You did not make a real choice, because real choices don't exist. We're all slaves to physics.
Salviati
Nonsense. I wanted it, and purchased it because I felt like it. My action directly resulted from my desire. No one forced me to buy it. Physics isn't a person, actively controlling my life. You still haven't given me a definition of "real choice."
Simplicio
A real choice is a choice you could have made differently, under the same circumstances, under your own conscious direction.
Salviati
But why would I want to? At the time, I thought it was a grand idea. In that state of mind, why wouldn't I buy it?
Simplicio
That's irrelevant. The question is whether you could have chosen differently, not whether you actually would have.
Salviati
What's the difference between "I could have chosen differently, but never would have," and "I could not have chosen differently?" Those sound like the same thing to me.
Simplicio
They're not. "Could" is physics. "Would" is choice.
Salviati
But you just said choice doesn't exist. Besides, how can choice be independent of physics? Unless you want to start talking about an immortal soul or something...
Simplicio
It doesn't matter. A choice-making soul would have the same logical problems as a choice-making brain. And this quibbling is pointless. Choice, as I've defined it, doesn't exist. We both agree on that much, I think.
Salviati
It doesn't exist because it is ill-defined.
Simplicio
No, it doesn't exist because it fails to refer.
Salviati
The desk toy was just an example. Setting it aside for now, all of your arguments have been a priori, that is, logical reasoning divorced from empirical evidence. If you demonstrate by logic that something can't exist, it must be logically inconsistent. You've argued that your own definition of choice is logically inconsistent. Your position is the same as mine.

The above writing format is a blatant ripoff of Galileo. I find it rather convenient, but it is admittedly unoriginal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is pretty much a free-for-all. If your comment is very hard to read (e.g. txtspk, l33t, ALL CAPS, etc.) I may fix it for you or remove it. If your comment brings absolutely nothing to the discussion (e.g. pointless flaming, spam, etc.), it is subject to removal, unless I find it sufficiently amusing. If you don't like my judgment, tough shit, it's my blog. If the blog post itself is old enough, your comment is subject to moderation, so don't panic if it's not visible immediately.